ABC was our station of choice for election coverage, both because that was what was on when we powered up the TV, and because my secret shame is that I think George Stephanopolous is a hottie. The absolute joy and hope that I felt last night as I watched America elect Barak Obama as our next president in no way affected my ability to be snarky and judgmental with regard to the election coverage. Though I enjoyed every flip of George's feathery hair, ABC let me with a few questions and comments ...
1) Why did Diane Sawyer stand up and walk around the studio every time the camera was on her? Was she the only anchor who had pressing questions for the analysts? Was ABC using Diane Sawyer's sexy legs to boost their election night ratings? If so, well played ABC, well played.
2) Who the hell was in charge of making sure that the remote microphones worked? Fire that guy.
3) Thank you, John Berman, for your brilliant and succinct commentary. "Iowa ... is a state."
4) Did anyone else hear Oprah making fun of crackheads?!?! "We will even take the drug addicts' vote." Okay Oprah! It's an exciting night, go on with your bad self and let the facade crumble!
5) Who told Sam Donaldson to play fast and loose with the metaphors?
Sam: It isn't over until the fat lady sings ...
Sam: Or until anyone ... sings ... anyone of any ... svelte ...
*music swells, ABC cuts to logo*
Later he started babbling about Jimmy Carter and vinegar with "sugar mixed into it." His co-commentator just pursed his lips and looked embarrassed.
6) What freaking 9% of people thought that our economy was going in the right direction under the previous administration? Who are you people?!?!? WHERE are you people?!?! I have some questions I need to ask, plus I need to borrow a few bucks.
That being said, I am so, so proud to have participated in the process that resulted in Barak Obama's election. I am proud, I am hopeful, I am joyful, I am moved to tears by the promise that this man brings to our nation. God bless.
Living in hope,